Updates on Nuclear Energy

Who has it and who wants it.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The King of Oil...investing in Nuclear?

Saudi Arabia is the world's largest exporter of oil and it gets approximately 75% of its domestic energy from fossil fuels. But if Arabia is swimming in oil why would they be looking into a nuclear future? Possibly because they understand that oil will not be around forever. That is why Saudi Arabia is currently speaking with a country where 75% of its energy comes from nuclear power...France.

France has made a deal with the oil king that allows Saudi Arabia's "experts" to study France's nuclear power technology. As of now, Saudi Arabia has planned a budget of $400 billion to change the face of Saudi Arabian domestic energy (which includes nuclear) by 2013.

This is a very important sign that I hope the entire world is seeing. If the oil-blessed country of Saudi Arabia has come to the realization that the world cannot survive on fossil fuels forever...when will every one else realize it.

2 comments:

  1. I think that is a very good point, well done. Hopefully the US decides to push forward here soon as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really interesting. I'd be curious if there is more going on, too. I don't mean to be cynical, but I guess I wonder if there's more going on her than just electricity production. There is a pretty significant tension in the middle east right now between Iran and its nuclear capabilities and Israel's; I wonder if Saudi Arabia sees this and would like to shift the balance of power, also?

    Or perhaps this is just about energy security. I don't know. But I always wonder and watch for shifts like this. Thanks for pointing our attention to it.

    ReplyDelete